Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Halloween!

This year I didn't do anything for Halloween. The Monday beforeReiko and I did go to Disneyland to check out the decorations, but the day of I didn't want to do anything. It turned out to be a good idea because on Saturday (the day everyone went out) there was a typhoon! It was wet and windy outside. I did manage to go to Tokyo to my Chinese class, but that is about all I could do.

In Japan people are expected to by omiyage for their coworkers. What is omiyage you ask? Well Wikipedia says, "In Japan, souvenirs are known as meibutsu (products associated with a particular region); and omiyage, candies or other edibles to be shared with co-workers. Omiyage sales are big business at Japanese tourist sites." Now you know.

I have never bought omiyage for my co-workers, mostly because I go to four schools and it is just too many people to buy for. ***I should point out my other friends who sometimes go to more schools than I do, always buy omiyage. Still, my teachers don't expect me to buy it for them and I don't expect to receive some from them, though I often do.*** I didn't bring anything back from my visit to the US because I didn't have room in my luggage, the Halloween candy I brought back weighed four pounds and I had to take it out of my check-in or pay $150 overweight fee! Um...no candy is worth that much!

Enter Costco. We don't have Costco in South Dakota, but Japan does. After I came back from home I went to this magical place and found some bite size Snickers bars on sale! ***It should be noted that Japan does have Snickers bars that can be found in most combinis, supermarkets, and other places where candy is sold.***

So this year for Halloween I made a little sign that said "Happy Halloween" with an arrow pointed down, and put it in the kitchen area of the teachers room. I it was a hit because the candy went fast (I even had to refill the bowl) and someone who was in a festive mood even put two persimmons in front of the bowl in place of pumpkins. I really appreciated the effort!


No comments: