Sunday, April 12, 2009

Bring on the blossoms!

This past week I have had the pleasure of seeing the cherry blossoms (or sakura in Japanese) bloom. It has been a sensory overload for sure. I think I took more pictures this week then I have my whole time in Japan!
The sakura bloom is followed closely by everyone in Japan. Weather forecasters tell their viewers the peak days to go out and see. The sakura season starts in January in Okinawa and gradually works its way up north. The Kanto region (where I live) had it's peak viewing this week, with peak days being earlier in the week for the southern Kanto area, and later in the week for the northern Kanto area. Ibaraki had it's peak probably Thursday or Friday? I am not sure, it depends on where you are!
In Japan, people like to have gatherings under the sakura. They call it hanami and it basically getting together with a group of people, having a picnic and basically just hanging out all day under the sakura. It is funny how they have one word for something I had to use a whole sentence to explain in English! We tried to have a hanami in Tokyo this weekend, but the blossoms were already gone. They are replaced by green leaves that will turn beautiful colors next fall. It was funny because in Ibaraki we still had plenty of sakura. I guess it goes to show how different the climate is in Tokyo, even though it is so close. Sakura season only lasts about a week in one area, but wow, what a week it is!

No comments: