Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Golden Week (and it's not even over yet!)

In Japan, the first week of May is a string of various holidays collectively referred to as Golden Week. That means I have time off! Despite the kitties being born last Thursday night, I decided to get out of town for a few days and head on down to the southern Kanto Region. I left Saturday afternoon and went to Yokohama. I booked a room at a hostel. It was small, but clean and nice. I will stay there again. I ate dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe in Yokohama. I kind of felt dumb eating alone, but it was fun. I enjoy watching the music videos they play on the screens!

The next day I met Junpei at 12:30. We had plans to go to the Yokohama Bay Stars baseball game. I hadn't seen him since November, so it was a nice treat! The Bay Stars lost to the Dragons, but it was ok because Junpei is a Dragons fan anyway (though his hometown is Yokohama-traitor!).

Monday we decided to go hiking along the coast. I had done this hike before, but when I did it was winter and really windy. So I couldn't go far. This time the weather was nice, but it was way more crowded and I couldn't see Mount Fuji. The highlight was finding a dead fugu on the beach. Fugu is a poisonous fish that the Japanese like to eat. To cut and cook Fugu you have to have a special license. Every year a few people die of Fugu poisoning, though most of the time they are eating it from someone who isn't licensed to serve it.

The best part of the trip was seeing baby Anna. She is almost one year old now. She isn't talking much (though if she was, I wouldn't understand her anyway!) and not totally walking yet. She still only has one tooth, but otherwise she has gotten so big! She is such a good girl, I can't wait to see her again!

On Monday night I went back home to my kitties. I did worry about them while I was gone. Chloe had never shown me she knew how to use the litter box, so I really thought I would have to come home and clean up poop and pee all over my floor. I was wrong! Chloe used her litter box! Go Chloe! You surprise me all the time.

Well, I still have two more days of Golden Week. I plan on taking it easy. Enjoy the pictures (they are in the wrong order, but I am assuming you can get where I was when I took them!).

No comments: