Thursday, October 14, 2010

Lunch


Japan is famous for their bentos (lunch box) but I actually don't eat them too often. My counterparts at elementary and junior high schools do because they must eat lunch with the students. High school is much more relaxed. I often bring my own, or head out for a quick bite. My favorite lunch when I am at my base school is from a place called Sukiya.


Sukiya is a chain restuarant that serves up cheap beef bowl meals. I go there from my base school because it is right outside the gate of my school! In fact, as I type this I am looking at the sign outside the window.


Usually I get just a normal beef bowl with beef sauteed with onions over rice. I get the smallest size because for some reason they do have a lot of calories in them. Then I add on a salad for ¥100 extra. Totally cost for my lunch is about 230 yen, not bad. I usually add a packet or two of pickled ginger for more favor (those are the pink things in the photo).


Today, however I noticed they have a new beef bowl with celery for 330 yen. I am always looking for ways to eat more vegetables, so I tried it. Its really nice! I think I have a new favorite at Sukiya!

No comments: