Saturday, September 20, 2008

Japanese schools verses American Schools...

Schools in Japan do things slightly different than schools in the US.  I thought it would be a good post to tell you about them.  The first thing is after junior high school (after grade nine in the US) students have to take a test and that test determines, basically there whole life.  The test places them in high schools.  Japan has different level high schools.  All of mine are low level, except for one which is slightly above low level.  It is a technical school.  Anyway, going to a good high school sets the stage to go to a good university, get a good job, etc.  So, one major difference is the students have to take this test before being placed in high school.  Since my schools are all low level, this comparison will only be low level schools verses US schools.  I am not sure how high level schools in Japan are different than low level schools, but I hear they are more motivated and study more!  

In junior high students often go to a Juku (cram school) to help study for this test.  That means they go to regular school all day, then to club activities (like sports) then to cram school.  Why can't the regular schools teach them what the juku is teaching them?

Ok, so the level of schools is different.  In the US usually gifted students attend the same school as special ed students.  Yes, they take different classes but they are in the same school.  I am not sure if it is better to separate students based in their abilities (like in Japan) or make them go to school with people of all abilities (like in the US).  I am sure there are pros and cons to both ways.  

All students in Japan, no matter what the level, wear uniforms.  I think the US should adopt this policy.  When I was a student I even thought it was a good idea, though I did often express myself through my wardrobe!

Teachers do not have their own classrooms in Japan.  Instead, the students stay in one room all day (except for gym class, home ec, etc) and the teachers come to them.  As a result, no lockers in the hallways (they are in the classroom) and not too many students in the hallways in between classes.  I think this idea would be good at schools with gangs and bullying problems, no students in the hallways equal no problems.  Though I have heard bullying is a problem in Japan.  I suppose if a shy student was being bullied in between classes by a student in their class that could case major problems.  Another bad thing about it is the rooms are decorated cool like in the US, but on the other hand teachers in the US often pay for their decorations out of pocket.  Still I think overall this is a good idea the US should consider.

Japanese students, eat, sleep, talk on their mobile phones (or too each other), whatever, in class!  I have heard this is a low level school thing, and I think they are disiplined later, but I am not sure.  For the most part students are good, but I have learned not to get offended if they are sleeping. 

Students clean the school!  Yes, there is no janitor the students do it all.  I think this is a good idea except for the fact they don't really do a good job.  I think basic things like taking out the trash, cleaning the chalk board is good.  But I see a lot of things at my school that need to be cleaned up.  I think the schools should be like the US and hire a full-time Janitor.

No cafeteria, students eat in their class room.  They do have a place that sells lunch food, but students eat outside, or with friends, or where ever.  There is no classroom.  In high school I could go out to lunch, so I didn't eat very healthy.  Students here bring lunch or buy it at school.  It is usually pretty healthy.

Students have to only get a 30% to pass.  From what I have heard, everyone passes anyway.  I am not sure if this is a low level thing or not, but they sure make it easy to get through school.  Overall, I have heard US education is way better.  So I think the Japanese need to crack down on their education.

Homeroom teachers have full responsibility over their students.  It is not uncommon, if a student gets in trouble and the police are called, for the police to call the student's teacher before they call the parents.  This shocks me to no end.  The teachers feel stressed because the of the responsibility,  I had a teacher tell me a student wanted her to come with her to get an abortion.  She didn't go because she didn't want to be responsible for the child.  I don't blame her.  Bottom line, the parents chose to have the child, they should be responsible for it!  I should point out that Japan has way less crime.  Also, way less drug and drinking problems.  So, it is unusual a student to get into that much trouble.  Still, the parents need to step up.  

Well, that is all I can think of for now.  I hope this gives you some insight into how Japan is different from the US.  Some things are good, some are bad.  Overall, I think the system here is ok, but I would never want to send a child to school here unless it was high level.  I know the teachers at my school really care for their students, but I am proud that I was educated in the good ole USA.

No comments: