Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tea Party in Roppongi

a


o
This weekend I went to Tokyo for a business going away party for Elaine Young. I first met Elaine through my friend Brita. She is really good. She designs these cool messenger bags and jewelry. It is hard for me to explain the concept. But she uses microscopic images of things in nature and blows them up to put on the bags. Her necklaces contain DNA of endangered species. I think the point is to become more aware of conserving the environment-a portion of the proceeds go to various conservation groups.

The party was great. It was in Roppongi, the area of Tokyo that has many embassies. The apartment was fabulous. It was on the ground level, so it had quite a large garden. It was super modern as well. I met some people and had really nice conversations. The food was great as well. The theme was tea party, so we drank tea and had snacks. I had fresh, out of the oven homemade apple pie and some really nice cheese. Ovens are not common in kitchens in Japan, so it was nice to have some baked goods.

Then it was time to shop. I bought a large messenger bag with the honey bee on it and a necklace with reindeer DNA in it. Tracey bought a labtop case and the smaller messenger bag with a fish eye on it.

Elaine is in the black in the picture above (the others are Tracey and Wing, a nice girl I met at the party). Her company is called LAByrinth. You can visit the website at http://www.lab-yrinth.net. Click online shopping to look at her line. If you want to know more about the concept of the design, click on the English link.

Elaine sent out a nice thank you after the party. She is leaving at the end of the month. She is going on the road to promote her line. She hopes to settle by the end of the year in Beijing. I wish her the best. I hope her line because successful.

No comments: