Thursday, August 7, 2008

Japan: a mix of old and new



While I was driving my NEW CAR, I noticed two homes next to each other and it got me thinking about Japan.  One house is an older, traditional Japanese house, the other is much more modern.  In a way it is a metaphor for Japan, a mix of old and new.  An example of this is in clothes.  It is not uncommon to see girls wearing the traditional kimono walking next to girls in modern clothes.  There are many restaurants in Japan.  Traditionally, the Japanese would sit on the floor with their shoes off and enjoy their meal.  There are still many restaurants like that.  However, there are many where people sit in chairs with their shoes on and that is ok too.  I am sure there are many more examples of traditional Japanese culture in modern Japan.  I have plenty of time to discover them.

No comments: